- Category: Bagan
info Gubyaukgyi is sometimes called "Myinkaba Gubyaukgyi" because of the resembling name of another pagoda in Wet-Kyi In. It is situated just to the left of the road on entering Myinkaba. this temple was built in 1113 by Kyansittha's son Rajakumar, on his father's death.
monetization_on No entry fees
watch_later Operation hours: 8:00-18:00
hourglass_full Time needed: Approximately 1 hour
In Indian style, the monument consists of a large shrine room attached to a smaller antechamber. The fine stuccowork on its exterior walls is in particularly good condition.
The Early period temple is also of particular interest for the well-preserved paintings inside, which are thought to date from the original construction of the temple and to be the oldest remaining in Bagan.
Next to the monument stands the gilded Myazedi or 'Emerald Stupa'. A four-sided pillar in a cage between the two monuments bears an inscription consecrating Gubyaukgyi and written in four languages- Pyu, Mon, Old Burmese and Pali. Its linguistic and historical significance is great since it establishes the Pyu as an important cultural influence in early Bagan and relates the chronology of the Bagan kings.
build Year established: n.a.
place Nyaung-U Township, Bagan
email no email
public no web site
local_taxi Estimated taxi fare: n.a.
directions_bus Bus directions: n.a.
directions_railway Train directions: n.a.
map See map below:
help_outline Get a free quotation for a Myanmar tour to visit this place.
grade Give a star-rating on this place or write a FB comment below: