info King Mindon (1852-1872) founded a new capital on 16 June 1858. In founding the new capital, he established seven monuments simultaneously. They were the following:
1. The city
2. The moat
3. Mahalokamarajain pagoda
4. The ordination hall
5. The monastery
6. Pitaka taik or Royal library
7. Sudhamma Zayat or Rest-house
monetization_on No entry fees
watch_later Operation hours: 9:00-16:00
hourglass_full Time needed: Approximately 1 hour
On 27 April 1859 King Mindon issued and order to build seven monuments simultaneously. On 15 May 1859, the pits were dug for the seven monuments to lay foundation simultaneously. On 23 May 1859, the foundation stones were laid at the seven monuments simultaneously. Atumashi Monastery is one of the seven monuments.
The name of monastic establishment was Mahaatulavijiyarama Taik. The Mahaatulawaiyan Monastery means the incomparable monastery like Sakra's Abode (Wejayanta). King Mindon entrusted the Atumashi monastery and the monastic establishment to Pakhan Sayadaw U Nandasarasirisadhammadhaja Mahadammarajaguru to keep monastery under his custody on 26 April 1877. The king visited to monastery in state and dedicated it as Sanghika kyon: by making a libation on 30 May 1877. After the monastery had been adorned with carved figurines and floral designs, king Mindon visited to the monastery by waterway in state on 29 November 1877.
The king had left to the temporary abode at the top of the moat and had looked at the occasion before Pitaka texts were carried from Mahavisutarama to Atumashi monastery on 10 May 1878. The Pitaka texts were carried from Mahavisutarama Taik to Atumashi in May 1878. The Atumashi monastery was completed in 1878. It was found in a record that a Buddhist Synod was convened from 19 May 1878 to 6 June 1878 and from 7 June 1878 to 6 August 1878. A big diamond on the forehead of the Buddha Image was stolen on 29 November 1885. Atumashi monastery was burnt down in 1892. It was used as a Christian Church in the early Colonial period.
Closer view of Atumashi Monastery
The notification for preservation of the fourteen buildings was issued by the English Government according to the 904 Act No. 7, Article 3(1) on 12 December and ratified. The Atumashi monastery was included in them. The English Government preserved Atumashi on 10 August 1908.
In 1995, Atumashi monastery was reconstructed when it had burnt down after 103 years. It was reconstructed at a cost of 1467.88 kyats lakhs. The opening ceremony was celebrated on 18 September 1996. The reconstruction of Atumashi monastery was completed on 30 November 1996. Atumashi monastery was transfferred to Archaeology Department on 9 January 1997.
Main staircase to platform and entry
Inside view of Atumashi Monastery
Platform of Atumashi Monastery
A corner view of Monastery
build Year established: n.a.
place Aung Myay Thar San Township, 63th Street, Mandalay
email no email
public no web site
local_taxi Estimated taxi fare: n.a.
directions_bus Bus directions: n.a.
directions_railway Train directions: n.a.
map See map below:
help_outline Get a free quotation for a Myanmar tour to visit this place.
grade Give a star-rating on this place or write a FB comment below: